Topband: Elevated Radials and Interaction

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Elevated Radials and Interaction
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
It seems like the discussion of elevated vs ground radials can go on forever!
One major issue not being discussed much, however, is the terrible interaction
that can occur between elevated radials and receiving antenna systems.

  Beverages can really be affected as well as the loop types, such as K9AY's
and Flags. Just as Larry, W7IUV, about his receiving antenna experiences while
using
  elevated radials in AZ.

  Elevated radials are impossible here because of the close spacing of my
receiving
  antennas and my 80 foot shunt fed tower. It works just great with 30 quarter
wave
  ground radials.

  Another side effect not discussed here is the effect of the ground screen on
the
  performance of the multiband yagi on top of the tower. I've seen no studies
on this
  but have heard people say such a ground system also improves the performance
of the higher frequency antennas on the tower.

  73, Dennis W0JX/8