Re: Topband: Beverage versus K9AY

To: <doktorij@bellsouth.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage versus K9AY
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:06:47 -0500
> I have enough room to lay out a short beverage(s) of about 300'.
>
> Would I be better off with a pair of K9AY loops phased against each other?

> Any experience on what plays better?
>
> n2wn

------
Julius,

Even the inventor of the K9AY Loop likes short Beverages!  I have used them
often over the years, both as permanent and seasonal antennas. 300 to 350
feet seems to work best -- at least with my installations, which have been 2
to 4 feet above ground. At low height, remember that the optimum termination
resistor will probably be between 270 and 390 ohms, not the "typical" 500
ohms.

The main advantage of the loops is the very small area needed and switchable
directions. Arrays of loops look very promising on the computer. I expect to
try a couple configurations this fall (as time permits) -- I'll report any
interesting observations on this reflector.

73, Gary
K9AY

PS:  Although serious planning is underway, no one is manufacturing the K9AY
Loop yet. My apologies to all for ceasing to do that myself -- I just ran
out of available time for a sideline business.