Topband: New Top Band antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: New Top Band antenna
From: Dick Duccini <blue356@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:59:47 -0700
Hi guys - I don't usually post to this reflector but I'm always reading
the info.  The latest thread on 160 antenna's caught my attention since
this week, with the assistance and motivation of a visitor from
California (W6JL), we modeled and put up a inverted L which when fed
direct with RG8-U, no tuner, has a SWR near 1:1 at 1.830.  We modeled it
first using G4FGQ's DOS program found at this web site:
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/page3.html#S301
The neat thing was that I also envisioned 100 foot radials of at least 20
each strung all through my yard and flower garden.  How to bury them and
not tear up the yard was the biggest issue which kept me from action for
some time. When Don, W6JL suggested this modeling program I was skeptical
but the results were great. Turns out, in my case, the vertical section
could only make it up 62 feet with the horizontal being the remainder of
137'.  The radials ended up at 25 feet and only needed 12.  More radials
or longer radials were better but the improvement was almost
insignificant.  We're at 45% efficiency over average soil. 100 radials at
150 feet each would have given us maybe 55% efficiency.
Next step is building the KW amp which should result in 500 watts ERP on
160 - That should work better than my 100 watts into a dipole....
Just wanted to pass the G4FGQ info along to John. W0TMM and let him know
there may be another way...
73 & GL
Dick
K6VKO