Topband: 160 metre antenna.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 metre antenna.
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:03:28 +1000
I am about to renew the top loading on my 160 meter vertical.Included in
the loading is a 50uh edge wound inductor 3 1/2 inches diameter and 8
inches long which will be positioned about 2 feet below the 12 foot
diameter capacitance hat.The edge wound inductor has about 3/16 inch
spacing between turns.I am worried what effect rain will have on this
inductor while I am transmitting.Will accumulated water between turns
have a detuning effect or even worse cause an electrical breakdown
across the inductor.I have a plastic cover 12 inches long by 8 inches
diameter which will I can place over the inductor to weather proof it
all but I am worried about wind loading and even with a coat of enamel
paint it will eventually deteriorate
I would appreciate some advice.
Good Dxing....Bob VK3ZL..