Topband: phone line

To: "INTERNET:topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: phone line
From: Michael Sapp <Michael_Sapp_WA3TTS@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:55:10 -0400
Hi Folks: I have a situation at my radio club where we have a +35 foot
telephone pole that would be ideal for supporting a 50+ foot vertical as a
ground plane for
80 and 160m, but it does support a phone line to the club building (No AC
mains, they were moved underground some years ago.)  If we install a
vertical radiator using the pole as a support, the phone line will run
within 18 inches  of the radiator about 15 feet above ground.  The bottom
of the vertical radiator would be about 6 feet above ground.  Any chance
that a collection of RF ferrite sleeves on the phone  line a half wave in
each direction would minimize the interaction??  Right now there is a
multiband commercial HF vertical on top of the telephone pole that seems to
not cause any significant problems with telephone RFI. It needs to be taken
down for service, so the thought of a larger vertical radiator looms as a
possible replacement.  We could put a larger vertical some 100 feet away,
but it would still be in the near-field for the phone line.  Using the
telephone pole as a support seems convenient, but I'm wary of RFI night
mares.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike WA3TTS,   &
W3KWH  Steel City ARC.