Topband: Top band QSLs

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top band QSLs
From: "Jeff" <w7jw@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:24:55 -0400
Gene, AD3F recently posted the following.

"This weekend I've been going over my Top band QSLs for the purpose of
determining progress toward my WAS award. I've known that I need KL7 worked
and confirmed, plus I need QSLs from three other states. What I did not know
until I reviewed the ARRL's Rules today was that these QSLs must all say
2x[mode] for me to qualify for a <specialty award> for 160M. The specific
ARRL Rule says:".......

An alternative to consider is using the LoTW system. I've never had an LoTW
confirmation refused for WAS or DXCC. I was fortunate to earn WAS on 160m CW
my first year on thanks to a lot of good luck, long nights and high contest
activity. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a CW op in the states of
HI,MS,NV,ND and WY to get on the LoTW system. I too have had cards rejected
for not being correctly filled out, including an HB0 I worked on 2m eme in
the early 90's (long before digital modes were used). The DXCC desk accepted
it as a country on 2m, but only for a mixed mode not CW because it didn't
say CW. It said two way EME, reports were RO.

LoTW is a good alternative for you paper chasers like me to think about.
Chasing guys like ZP6CW around the bands including 160 is great fun. Knowing
that a qso with him will be confirmed via LoTW within a few days is very
motivating to me. Now, if the summer static would just subside a bit, I'm
still looking for ZP6CW to get into my 160m log.  BTW Gene, KL7J has a huge
160m signal and uses the LoTW regularly. To all LoTW users, I say thank you.

Jeff W7JW