Re: Topband: VA7LF Trans Pacific Testing

To: "Top Band List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VA7LF Trans Pacific Testing
From: "Steve McDonald" <jsm@gulfislands.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:58:46 -0700

> Last night at 03:09 VA7LF was 559 copy on 137.7 kHz here in south west
> Oregon.  I was listening with an FT1000 and my 160 meter slopers.
> Hopefully, they will post the results of their testing.

Thanks for the QSO George! We worked a half dozen stations crossband 160 /
2200m last night during the 1 hour set aside for this activity. The majority
were in Oregon. The next time we set up for the T-P tests, I will give more
notice so that more people can be ready. I knew the 160m group would like
the weak-signal challenge and they didn't let us down. Thanks to all.

The tests with ZL were encouraging and semi-successful and, as usual,  much
was learned. The three nights picked could not have been worse. I believe
prop was very good on night one (Monday) but thunderstorm activity over
eastern US and near ZL completely cancelled any chance of success. We saw
their signals briefly just before sunrise. Tuesday night was just as bad.
The thunderstorms had abated but a geomagnetic storm took it's place shortly
after the sked started. The first hour was very encouraging with numerous
Loran Line signals from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Alaska visible in our
3 Hz window, but the prop was soon  gone. The ZL's reported good "O" copy on
several of our sequences but nil was heard from them. This morning looked to
be even worse and at around 0500 we almost decided to pull the plug to catch
some much needed sleep before hauling the big antenna down and packing up
for the ferry ride home. We decided to hang-in and complete the sked
..thankfully. About 20 minutes before dawn their signal suddenly appeared,
painted on the screen. We responded at our next sequence and they
aknowledged good copy, requesting us to increase transmission speed. They
then started to send full calls but the sun was already up and we quickly
ran out of darkness. It was the first 'acknowledged exchange' of information
that we have done but far from a complete and valid QSO...hopefully the prop
gods will not play dirty on our next attempt...if there is one. The Quartz
Hill site apparently is slated for takeover for a large multi-wind turbine
system. Time will tell.

Thanks to all and 73

Steve / VE7SL

Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at   http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm