Topband: K9AY end-fire

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY end-fire
From: Bogdan Chorążyk <sp3rbr@wp.pl>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:01:04 +0100
Hi

Pete N4ZR wrote :

>For this topband season I set up a pair of K9AY loops, each pointed >toward
>Europe, spaced >130 feet end-fire and phased 180 degrees. I >chose the phasing
>because of ease of execution >and to avoid >misphasing as a result of
>impedance mismatches, which I knew I would >have.

  Your fears concerning possible Phase Changes from mutual coupling between two
loops are un-justified. The normal diifficulties experienced with Phasing
Resonant Elements does not exist in case of non-resonant K9AY loops.
  If you prepare, tune properly and check Phasing Box on your table, assuring
you have got demanded Phase Shift and identical currents at respective Output
outlets, be sure, that on the field, after coonecting with apropriate
non-resonant K9AY loops, the final result will be guaranted.
  According to our experience during that ending Top-Band DX season we have
used at our Club Station SP3KEY 4 Square K9AY Array connected to one Receiver
and End-Fire K9AY set-ups (located between 21 and 28 meters apart) were
connected to another Receiver. The Phasing was 135 degrees Phase Shift.
  We were fully satisfied with operation of these Receiving set-ups.
  The Phase Shift Networks we use offered 135 degrees Phase Shift in case of
160 meter band and - respectively - 50 degrees on 75 / 80 meters band, which
has resulted in quite good directivity on 75 / 80 meters band too.

    >The resulting array was quite effective by my lights, certainly >better
than a single K9AY >loop, with a considerably narrower >forward lobe and
deepish nulls off the sides, at the >cost of a >somewhat reduced F/B ratio.

  >I am considering next year putting up a third support and >arranging
switching so that I can >use end-fire pairs of K9AY loops >in 4 directions - 45
degrees, 135 degrees, 225 degrees and >315 >degrees. The models show an RDF
roughly like a 1.5 wavelength >beverage, but I think >I\'m skeptical enough to
wait and see (and >wonder about my modeling).

  I hope that you will be able to put your plans in practise.
  After Contest No. 6 on Top-Band during this Winter DX season there is no any
doubt about efficiency of our Receive systems. I wish you to achieve the same
success.

73, Bogdan SP3RBR