Topband: MFJ 1026:What noise antenna to use?

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: MFJ 1026:What noise antenna to use?
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:46:32 +0200
I was given a MFJ 1026 by a VERY well meaning, pro 160m USA ham.

I studied the booklet and all I could find on the web about it.The unit  is
really showing great promise.
I am using a co-ax loop with amplier and have tried to use a K9AY (single)
loop as noise antenna.I had to move the internal link for max gain for the
noise (aux antenna) and reduce the main (co-ax loop) gain to match the
signal levels as I am not using an external amplifier on the K9AY loop.

The two antennas are about 20 m apart, I feel it should be more but no space
available. Would a short vertical (omnidirectional) be better, I was
rotating the K9AY loop towards
EU and my co-ax loop and tried to add the sigs and also tried to minimise
the noise, I had limited success in both.
The internal antenna was working very well to cancel TV line
tranformer/computer noise.
Just wondering
Raoul ZS1REC

Please note my new email :raoulc@smmcape.co.za