Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:25:19 +0200
 I  wrote:

> It is a sad day that we have to think how to stay ahead of
people that
> obviously have no integrity.Yes, radio is about radio and
yes, I would like
> to hear my sigs over Skype
> for the sake of of just knowing that the band is open.

Tom's response:

>Whenever anyone places a receiver in a primary part of the
>band and allows remote access to that receiver, two things
>can occur.

>First, people can use it to hear something they normally
>would not hear.

>Second, people will ping that receiver. (Snip.)

I agree  with you Tom, I should have written: "I would have enjoyed to hear
my own signal over Skype BUT with all the  potential problems mentioned,will
refrain from doing so."

It was the same when  I started on 160m  and used dx summit to see who can
hear me till I discovered that some users abuse the system,so I stopped
using that as well.

I dont have Skype and if I do get it, it will be used for its original
purpose.
Raoul