Re: Topband: FW: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon

To: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>,"Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX" <yv5lix@cantv.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: how to set up a Skype receiving beacon
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:50:34 -0800
From: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>

> I think most would agree that part
>> of the challenge of 160 is trying to exploit the available advantages to
>> hear better and transmit farther than the next guy
>
> Hi Mike
>
> On a personal level???  I always consider it to be getting my station as
> good as I can within my finacial constriants!

That's what I try to do here, but I have to confess that sitting on the
sidelines during a good opening because your noise level is too high
to exploit it can be discouraging. I've operated from rural QTH's
enough times to know how much more fun it is when your ears are
good, so I am always looking for ways to get closer to that ideal
within the constraints of my available resources. For the time being,
I've had to be content with dragging my stuff out into the desert two
or three times a year. This is always a real treat, but since I am out
so infrequently my odds of being "deployed" during a really super
opening are pretty low (I've yet to be lucky enough to be out for
any of those real great openings to from the west coast to Europe).

> We see it in all sports that the 'companies' will always be the top of the
> league.... it's inevitable, so to try and beat the next guy is a little
> pointless, he'll no doubt have more disposable income!

It's still fun to try to outsmart the guy with more money. And if
you fail you will always have a good out [he has more money than

> All I can do is to compete with myself!!!

That is a good way to look at it, Ian, but even then you are "trying
to hear better and transmit farther".

73, Mike