Re: Topband: receiving beacon and cheating

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: receiving beacon and cheating
From: Kenneth Grimm <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:22:50 -0500
Ian, G3ROO offered:

>I think the crux of the matter is that if anyone is determined enough to
>cheat they'll find a way!
>
>But really, does it matter?.... the point of any award is self satisfaction,
>so if a bloke (or blokess) cheats he's (she) is cheating themselves.

Garry, NI6T responded:

>Ian:
>
>Try selling that view to Wayne Mills at ARRL. Let me know what transpires.
>
>Garry, NI6T

Of course you both are right.  There is an assumption at the DXCC desk
that there is a propensity to cheat.  This has been reinforced over the
years by cases in which cheating was determined.  I've noticed, also
over the years, that the rules at the DXCC desk have become more
demanding as a result of those episodes.  For example, when I first
submitted cards for the award there was no requirement that
DXpeditioneers submit proof that they were where they said they were and
had permission to be there, etc.  Now we must wait until the "DXCC desk"
determines that a DXpedition was "acceptable."  Why?  Because certain
individuals had cheated by saying that they were ashore on a particular
pile of rocks when, in fact they were miles away, sipping pina coladas
and operating from the deck of their boat.  Cheating in those cases was
utterly disipicable as it directly affected everyone who contacted the
cheater thinking that they had worked a new country.  Thousands were
disappointed when the scam was discovered.

Contrast that with the "cheater" who cheats by rigging a QSO by extra
"legal" or artificial means.  I might be annoyed if I discovered that he
had cheated, but he actually harms no one but himself.  The problem is
that these folks are usually too damn dumb to understand that they are
engaged in a self-destructive behavior.  Ergo, Wayne Mills and the other
"keepers of the seal" keep watch and protect, as best they can, both the
integrity of DXCC and the poor misguided fools who think that they
actually gain something of value by cheating.

Have I ever cheated?  NEVER!.........well, errrm, maybe, once, at
cards......... :-[

Would I cheat on DXCC?  You've got to be kidding!  Why on earth would I
do that?  I'm the only one in the world who cares whether I ever have a
QSO with a North Korea or not.  I either make the contact or I don't.
Faking it wouldn't count.  It wouldn't count with Wayne Mills but most
importantly, it wouldn't count with me.

I did find it interesting to dial up Eric's Skype hookup and hear my
signal.  It might have some utility, but probably not for me.  It was a
novelty.  But of course that's what they said about single side band.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr