Re: Topband: Working a rare one....again

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Working a rare one....again
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:25:13 -0600
At 08:22 PM 02/10/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Your attitude stinks Charles-have a little compassion for those who would
>like to work the Dx but perhaps can't afford "the dues" as you put it-or
>all the toys either.

I knew this would be misunderstood.

I am filled with compassion for everyone (myself included) who tries to
work the DX on topband and is often frustrated.  But I am mystified by the
attitude that if an operator cannot afford "the dues" then he should have
the DX given to him. Where was I when that memo got circulated?

My stomach churns just as much as the next guy when a "big gun" uses up
precious minutes of a short band opening working a station that would be a
new one for me, but is just another QSO for him.
However, not a single one of us became DXers by taking a vow to work each
DXCC entity only once per band! What? You think everyone in the 3Y0X
pile-ups needs it for a new one? Muscle-flexing at its testosterone-driven
best.

Understand, I am no big gun. But, neither am I a little whiner! So, all
this "Let the little guys have a shot" mentality reminds me of communism,
where everyone gets paid the same regardless of how much work one does.
Kind of undermines initiative and any sense of self improvement.

Working DX on topband is not easy. It is not a birthright. You DO have to
"pay your dues", whether with money for better equipment or through hard
work or by becoming a more savvy operator. DXing on topband is a lot like
playing chess. If you lose, you were outplayed. Pure and simple. Excuses
are trash.

A smart operator learns more from the QSO's he doesn't make than he learns
from the QSO's he does. He learns when he can out-fox the crowd, and he
also learns to recognize a lost cause when he sees one. No doubt about it -
topband DXing competitive. You have to learn to take your lumps when you
don't make it through and resolve to do better next time.

I guess my bottom line is that if you can't work the DX, don't fuss at the
ones who can.

Remember:  "A man may fail many times, but he is not a failure until he
blames others."

73,
Charles - K5ZK