Re: Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202
From: Gary K9GS <GaryK9GS@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:15:46 -0600
Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Minicircuits coats their cores with "Parylene".  The cores are conductive
> like FairRite73 and are in fact probably similar material.  A long time
> ago, a batch of uncoated cores managed to find their way into a bunch
> of ASK-1 mixers.  We had a special application at HP where we put a DC
> bias on one of the windings.  Most users do NOT do this.   These
> defective mixers caused a devil of a problem because they didn't
> just fail outright.  They would get noisy when DC was applied
> and eventually short out the DC.  It took us 6 months to get MCL
> to admit the problem.

Hi Rick,

That's interesting that Mini-Circuits used Parlyene.  It's a very
expensive material to use although a great solution to the problem.  We
have a Parlyene coating system at work and due to the way the material
is deposited it costs the same amount of money to coat one as it does
1,000 pieces.

Parlyene is a great material, tough and practically impervious to just
about anything.  The nice thing is it is so thin it is almost impossible
to even know it's there....something on the order of fractions of a
thousandth of an inch thick.

  Gary

   K9GS
   Gary Schwartz           email: k9gs@arrl.net
   Check out K9NS on the web: http://www.k9ns.com

   Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)     GMDXA