Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:59:31 -0600
In the upcoming 160M contest the plan is my son, Kevin (N5DX) will operate from
our station using his callsign and I will travel about 100 miles away to the
station of N5ECT/WD5R and operate using K5GO.  It will be the great Arkansas
shootout.  Doug is very interested in any observations that might be made
regarding the relative signal strengths, etc.  I'm particularly interested in
not getting beat TOO badly by this young whippersnapper, even if he is my son
;-)

Now, for the question regarding the shunt feed on a tower.  Doug has a full
sized, quarter wave 25G tower that he is shunt feeding.  There probably would
be no noticeable difference (only in my confidence level) but I would like to
spend the time to make a cage of wires and re-do the matching system.

Currently it is fed with a series vacuum variable capacitor through a
galvanized TV pushup mast with the tap about 40 or 45 feet above ground.  There
are 60 quarter wavelength radials under the tower.  I thought that perhaps a
couple of #12 copper wires spaced about 8-10 inches apart might be better.

It has yet to be done so I am open for suggestions from anyone who has about a
130 foot 25G tower with no top loading as to how they are feeding it to achieve
50 ohms and no reactance.  Another question is whether anyone thinks it would
be of any value to add some top loading to that tower while we are at it.  I
just need about 1.5 dB on him and I think I can get him.....

Stan