Re: Topband: K5NA Ferrite beads for RG-6

To: "INTERNET:topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K5NA Ferrite beads for RG-6
From: Michael Sapp <Michael_Sapp_WA3TTS@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:48:53 -0500
Hello Rich and Group:  I use RG-6 quad shield for my RX antennas at home
and the local radio club.
Recently purchased 100 type 43 ferrite beads from Surplus Sales of
Nebraska, size
.4 ID, .75 OD, 1.125 inches long. Used 8 of these units at each end of rx
cable coax,
was quite surprised to see them kill off the remaining neighborhood
computer garbage
and they seemed to improve the F/B on my EWEs. Part number ICH-264-3626402
sell for 40 cents each in +50 unit quantity, 28 cents each in 500 unit
quantity. These have a large
enough ID to fit over RG-8 with the jacket removed and replaced with single
layer of
electrical tape. I suspect I was getting some beverage-on-ground snake
effects coupling
at the A/B switch in the shack so tested that theory first.  Things did
improve as well as with the addition
of the ferrite beads at the antenna feedpoint. My other concern was to
limit induced
ground currents into the rx cable from my TX vertical, which is all
squeezed into a 50 by 220 suburban lot.
Note this .4ID will not fit over an F or RCA connector, but they are cheap
and easy enough to replace.

The remainder of these beads went on all my PC power cords, phone lines,
and entertainment equip
cables. I did find my Dish Network DVR RX spewing 3 or 4 loud carriers on
the low end of 160m which
was reradiating off the phone line and easily killed off with a ferrite
bead at the modem connection. I'm
wondering if it would be worthwhile to put smaller type 77 FBs on the hot
lead to each circuit breaker
in the main service panel???

Mike WA3TTS

PS: No affiliation with Neb Sur Sales, was just my low cost alternative to
those $3.50 each
snap on ferrites.