Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK tho

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK though
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 05:57:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi, I am still having problems with my K9AY loops. I brought the relay box
inside so I could test it and there doesnt seem to be any problems with the
wiring. I talked with Gary a week or more ago, but havent heard from him for a
while. He told me to check the resistance through the ground path and the coax
connector on the transformer. When I switched one side I would get my
resistance value (600 ohms in this case) through ground and full continuity
through the connector. When I switched that around, the values would also
switch on the relay box. When I went to the second loop I got the exact same
thing. That tells me that its working... I also checked the transformer, as per
Gary's instructions, by placing a 470 ohm resistor across the 450 ohm tap (470
is close enough to 450) and ground and sending a low power signal through it
and reading the SWR. Mine came out at about 1.5:1 SWR, so I dont think theres a
problem there.

  I cant figure out why it would be picking up SOO much noise!

  Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone encountered this problem with this
type of loop antenna? What was the cause and how was it fixed? Can it be my
ground (4 foot rod, 600 ohm terminating resistance, about 3-4" topsoil then
clay)?

  I was expecting to come across a problem in the relay box, without a doubt.
After checking it out and finding nothing, I have no idea what to do.

  73,
  Steve, KC8QVO