Topband: Elevated vs ground radials update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevated vs ground radials update
From: "Dan Kovatch" <w8car@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:12:28 -0500
First, thanks to all who responded via the list and off list about whether
adding ground radials would help with 3 elevated radials. The consensus was
adding ground radials under elevated radials was effective. Only one or two
saw no change.

I added 16 1/8 wave radials tied to a ground rod near the base of the
support for the 160 L. Interestingly, the SWR bandwidth (2 to 1) narrowed
about 12KHZ even though there is no direct connection between the elevated
radials and ground ones. Maybe I eliminated some loss??? Time will tell. The
center point of the antenna did not change. Both measurements were taken the
same day within several hours during a slight drizzle (What a great hobby
this is!!)

Condx have been so crappy hr that I have not had a chance to make any
contacts other than local. What I need are some really marginal condx to see
if I feel louder. If anyone hears me on and thinks I'm 3-5DB louder -let me
know ;)  .I plan to add at least 16 more radials and hope they 'grow in' in
the Spring. If so I will probably eliminate the elevated radials and just
add more on ground ones and make the vertical part 10 feet longer(!) and
redo the fed point

Thanks to all who responded and if I didn't respond offline to your e-mail I
apologize. What a great resource!!

CU on topband
Dan
W8CAR