Re: Topband: Beverage above chain link fence

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>,"Ken Brown" <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage above chain link fence
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:30:04 -0600
  From: Ken Brown<mailto:ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
  To: Topband<mailto:Topband@contesting.com>
  Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:10 PM
  Subject: Topband: Beverage above chain link fence

  Hi all,

  Probably the only way I will ever have a Beverage antenna at this QTH is
  to run it along the top of a chain link fence. I understand that a
  Beverage really needs to have poor to mediocre ground under it in order
  that the wave tilt will induce current in the Beverage wire. So running
  it above a chain link fence may make it not function as a Beverage
  antenna at all. I also realize that one more receive antenna option that
  can be selected is better than not having that option, even if it
  doesn't work optimally. I'd would like to hear your opinions about the
  utility of this antenna. Is it worth trying? How high above the chain
  link fence would be good? What if it could only be a few inches? How
  about weaving the wire in the chain link? (I suspect that would be
  useless, but what the heck)

  One of the most rewarding things about Ham radio is the fun of trying things
that may or may not work. I say try it. Keep the wire as far above the fence as
you can and see what happens.
  John K9DX