Re: Topband: West Coast openings

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: West Coast openings
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:01:22 -0700
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>

>...if East Coast stations could forego their fifth, tenth or 50th QSO with
>stations
> that are routine to them but rare to us, and give us a crack at them.
> An act of kindness comes back to the giver manyfold...

I don't believe this kind of altruism exists Garry.  You can get some good
advice on this forum, and even some personal offerings of help via e-mail or
phone.  But when it comes to actual operating, it's a different world.  For
the handful of ops that will do what you are asking, there are the hundreds
of others who would not think of it.  It's a "me-first" world, a world of
the "haves and have-nots".  I assure you there is noone else who really
gives a rip if you or I or anyone else works Europe or not.  It's up to you
alone to do the best you can with what you have, and enjoy it.  It's a
hobby.  I did find it interesting to hear the same W3 contact the same EU
station 3 times in the hour or so that I was listening.  Was he being
hoggish?  showing off?  or trying out different antennas?  Who knows.  But
I'll bet he was having fun - regardless if he was QRMing a W6/W7 or not, I
doubt if he cared.

I tried to work 9 EU stations last night (I stayed up most the night
determined to make my first EU QSO), but could not work any of them.  The
best I got was a QRZ? and NO COPY from OH2BO, if he was even replying to me
at all.  I know there were many more EU stations out there last night, but I
would stick with one for a long time waiting for good copy and no QRM to
coincide.  I know what my weaknesses are, and I slowly correct/improve
things as I have time and funds.  As of this year, I feel I have the best
antenna set-up that I can fit on my acre - a T vertical over 50 radials, a
270-ft dipole at 80 feet, and K9AY loops.  My remaining improvements are to
investigate ways to reduce my constant S7-S9 noise levels, and scratch
together enough cash and parts to build an amplifier - an ongoing 5-year
endeavor now.  My foolish desire to get 160m DXCC is just not going to
happen at his QTH with 100 watts.  And I do not expect Mr. W3 to sit on his
hands while OH2 tries to hear a p-weak station from a deep rocky Montana
canyon.

73, Steve KK7UV