Re: Topband: "Magnetic Receiving Loop / small loop , brief summary.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: "Magnetic Receiving Loop / small loop , brief summary.
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:32:51 -0500
From: mstangelo@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:56:57 +0000
Tom and all,

Most hams have the ability to work 160 meters these days because the
rigs include this band and the demise of Loran A. I have friends who
want to get started on 160 or HF operation in general and ask for
references. The two that I recommend are Tom's website and John's
books, both of which contain excellent information. Kudos to both of you!

The feedback I get from them is that they feel intimidated and think
it is necessary to have a top of the line transceiver with suitable
modifications, 1.5kw linear, large antennas on acres of land, CW
proficeincy above 30wpm and internet access for real time spotting.

- I remind them that, first of all, this is a hobby and if we should
enjoy what we're doing without interfering with others. A new ham
with the proper license has as much of a right as an experienced
operator with 25 thousnad dollars worth of equipment.

- The radios we have today are much better that the rigs we started
with in the 1960's and the average radio, such as the 706 is not that
much worse than a multi thousand dollar radio. The weakest link are
our antennas, not the radios.

-  If we don't use the frequencies allocated to us we will loose them
so it's better to get on the air with something marginal then spend
time on the internet fretting about what is wrong with our stations.
Listen first. If no one is around, give a call, but respect band
plans, DX windows and gentlemen's agreements.

- When is a good time to operate? When you have the time. You get DX
during the nightime hours but you can have some interesting ragchews
with the locals during the daytime. The band are mostly vacant,
except for the contests.

- Your CW skills do not have to be perfect and a good operator should
slow down to accomodate your abilities. The best way to practice to
to make real contacts on the air.

We should encourage more people to get on the air and not to be
afraid to experiment.

73,

Mike N2MS