Re: Topband: Error in ARRL 160 contest rules?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Error in ARRL 160 contest rules?
From: "Roger Graves" <rgraves@uvic.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:16:53 -0800
Hello all,

As a participant, and sometimes BC section or category leader, in the ARRL
160 contest for 25 years, I can say that working DX in this contest has been a
major priority and source of much enjoyment for me. Those extra multipliers
are very important for deciding the top scores in this section. After most
everyone workable has been worked, a few more qso's don't make anywhere
near the difference that another multiplier does. Since it is difficult to work
DX from BC on 160, having lots of W/VE activity keeps the interest up,
which is hard to maintain for a DX only 160 contest, so the SS format
provides the 'meat and potatoes', but the DX provides the spice.
Having a JA come back to my CQ running 5 Watts last year was surely one of
my greatest pleasures in contesting.

I for one would hope that if any changes are made in the rules that  such
changes would be to further encourage DX participation, and participation by
more US Pacific stations.

And thanks to all who dug out my QRP signal this year!

73,
Rod VE7VV