Topband: 1820.4 carrier

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 1820.4 carrier
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:16:31 -0600 (CST)
I listened this morning around 1300Z, about one hour after sunrise, and there
was absolutely no QSB on the signal here in FN42gk (about 25 mi west of
Boston).    This suggests the source is within ground wave distance of my QTH.
Before sunrise there was a small amount of QSB, indicative of a mix of ground
wave and sky wave.  The signal was S9++ on the Orion S-meter.

The direction appears to be N to NNE.  I don't have a N Beverage but I do have
1-wavelength Beverages at 45, 90, 135, 225, 270, and 315 degrees.  It is
strongest on the 45 degree Beverage, but there is a pronounced null on the E
and W Beverages, which suggests a northerly heading for the signal.

73, John W1FV