Re: Topband: Fwd: DX Engineering 4-sq receiving antenna

To: Stephen Reichlyn <Stephen.Reichlyn@ryansci.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: DX Engineering 4-sq receiving antenna
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:02:35 -0400
Quoting Stephen Reichlyn >>
>> I'd like to build a DX Engineering 4 square receiving antenna but I
>> foresee a problem. I do have enough property to place 4 elements in
>> a square that is 90 feet on a side. The problem is that my HOUSE
>> would be
in the middle of the square. It is a 3 story house built out of wood.
>> Does anyone have an idea of what effect the house would have on the
>> antenna pattern?

Steve,
A low profile single story ranch house might be workable. However, IMHO it
would depend on so many factors such as, how many storys to the house and the
amount of vertical wiring to supply power to ceiling lights, fans, attic, etc.
Sure some of the wiring could be made to appear to float or detuned with
chokes, but the magnitude of this taskmay be more than its worth.  also if you
have a lot of vertical conduit runs in the near field of the 4 square it would
probably mitigate the directity values somewhat.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ