Re: Topband: Psychoacoustics

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Psychoacoustics
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:32:12 -0700

Barry Gross wrote:

>Listening to a weak cw signal in the midst of roaring, popping qrn isn't
>directly analagous to a weak signal against a background of constant level
>white noise.  I suspect cw filters are more useful in the real world of
>topband qrn.

Maybe I should have been more specific.  I have the DSP filters in my
756Pro set to "100 Hz", 200 Hz, and 400 Hz.  The "100 Hz" setting is
actually 600 Hz narrowed down by the PBT controls to give a more gentle
filter slope, since the normal steep 100 Hz CW setting on the 756Pro
tend to create too much ringing if the QRN is high and rough.  On those
occasions where I resort to sweeping the tuning I usually use the 400 Hz
bandwidth.  As I said in my posting it isn't applicable when the noise
is too sharp, and that is often the case on topband, but I have used it
there with occasional benefit.   Most of the time I use the narrower
filters.

Dave AB7E