Topband: final conclusions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: final conclusions
From: df2py@t-online.de
Date: 14 Nov 2005 20:38 GMT
Hi reflectess !
I did not intend to stirr up such a cloud of dust with my criticizing of a
single cluster-spot. But as the reflector-discussion went on, the subject
changed from cluster-QSOs to spotting and finally to technology QSOs. This
indicated to me, that a many people have a desire to talk about changes in
topband procedures affiliated with the progress of technology,whether internet
or decoding programs. Interesting enough, the term "genius loci" came upon, and
thats exactly the point, i guess.
If VHFers, most of them no-code guys, use decoding and waterfall-systems, it is
excusable. Many of their pathes cant be wrestled without modern tech ( e.g.
moonbounce with a few Watts ERP ).
Topband is no such place. You can go ahead and throw out wires for receiving,
grow aluminum in the backyard and get a signal out, like, yes, in the ol`days.
Nothing wrong with that.
Hanging out in a dx-chat-room is no substitute for original ham-engineering,
which has been the heartland of amateur-radio and still can be mastered at 160m
wavelength by everybody.
This way we preserve the "genius loci" of topband !
may the lords of propagation be with You, and Ohm´s law as well !     good dx
de wolf  df2py