Re: Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Reversible Two Wire Beverage
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 20:11:10 -0700
>> KV4FZ wrote:
>> The DXE specs call for a 400-500 ohm open wire or ladder line which I do
>> not
>> presently have.  A hand made line of 600 feet is not an easy chore.

W4ZV replied in part:

>         It may not be as bad as you think!  I
> believe the following would be closer to
> 4-500 ohms than anything you are proposing:

>         Buy a 1/4 mile roll of 17 Gauge Aluminum
> Fence wire from your farm supply store.  This wire
> has extremely low weight per length and can be
> stretched very tightly.  I suspect it would need
> only 2 intermediate supports between the ends (i.e
> about 200' per span).  Build 2 supports with the
> desired wire spacing and perhaps one intermediate
> spacer for each span (i.e. 3 total).  I don't have
> the formula in front of me but I guess 3-4" spacing
> would be in the ballpark for 17 Gauge wire to be
> around 4-500 ohms.

-CUT-

Herb,

I agree with Bill, and will add the following.

I have used the suggested fence wire both to extend # 12 Copperweld
Beverages AND as complete 2-wire Beverages.  In both cases I continued to
use the "standard" spacing of 12 inches.  The antennas performed superbly,
and I could detect NO difference between the hybrids, the totally aluminum
jobs, and totally copperweld models.  In my opinion, the spacing is NOT very
critical.

YMMV, but that is my experience.

Milt, N5IA