Re: Topband: Brass vs. Stainless Steel

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Brass vs. Stainless Steel
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:51:26 -0500
> I have heard that stainless steel is a relatively poor
conductor and
> that their use for that purpose should be avoided.  By the
way, I
> understand they are noncorrosive, and are often used for
mechanical
> connections for that very purpose. But my questions
relates to cases
> where the screw itself is used as a conductor, as in the
case described
> above.  Is this an issue worth worrying about, or is this
level of
> concern overkill?

I've seen claims it makes a difference, but I've never found
a system where the power loss difference can be measured.
Not even when working on power amplifiers where current is
high. Maybe if  the screw was three feet long.....?

We did use brass screws without full length thread in an RF
current transformer. Just enough thread to get a nut on. But
that was a heat issue on 20-30 MHz . It was a number 6
screw, and steel would get warm at a few  kilowatts. Not a
power loss issue, just the fact a tiny amount of dissipated
power would heat a #6 screw.