Topband: VK9 in comparison to VK6

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VK9 in comparison to VK6
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:42:58 +0800
G'day

I have had several emails over the last week from people asking me why if
they can hear myself or VK6HD so well, why VK9X is more difficult to hear/work.

The operating conditions/propagation from VK9 are totally different from
VK6 - the former is much more like YB.  Christmas Island is much closer to
Jakarta than it is to Perth.

Think horrendous tropical QRN from storms and high humidity.  Western
Australia has very low humidity and relatively little QRN at this time of
year - our early summer.

One of the reasons that very few Europeans or USA ever work VK2 or VK4 at
this time of the year is that the humidity in NSW and Queensland is very
high - and most would-be lowbanders in these states turn their radios to
160 at this time of year and immediately turn them off when they hear the
S9+ atmospheric noise.

Mike 6HD and I have it easy compared to VK9, 9V1 and YB operators in this
respect.

Never forget that this time of year is summer in the southern hemisphere -
VK1AA's topband web site doesn't call us 'noise fighters' for nothing.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ