Re: Topband: Pennant/Vertical separation?

To: Pat Rose <w5ozi@ktc.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Pennant/Vertical separation?
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
--- Pat Rose <w5ozi@ktc.com> wrote:

> How far away from this tower should I put the
> pennant to reduce/eliminate problems?

Pat, as far away as you can is the short answer.

Do you use elevated radials? If so place the pennant
as far away from the radials as you can without regard
to the tower. Elevated radials cause more problems
than a shunt fed tower does.

If you are really concerned, use a flag instead of a
pennant. Flags seem to have more immunity to nearby TX
antennas than any other RX antenna I have evaluated. I
had one flag directly in between two shunt fed towers
and UNDER the elevated radials. It was the only RX
antenna that worked in that spot! And yes I know it's
harder to build and install a flag but that should
tell you something. As Heinlein always said, "There
ain't no such thing as a free lunch"!!

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg