Topband: Take-Off Angle Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Take-Off Angle Question
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:49:38 -0400
W7IUV wrote:

 >All the EU signals I've copied over the last ten days
or so have been best on the 30 degree Beverage. They
are all down on the the 60 degree beverage and nil on
the 90 degree Beverage.

         N6TR made the same observation regarding
azimuths.  This is a characteristic of extremely
quiet geomagnetic fields.  When there is little
auroral activity, there is little skewing from
true Great Circle directions.  This is also seen
with Europe working KL7 via direct headings.

         From Colorado, I found the following to be
a good rule of thumb (EU ~40 degrees true bearing):

Geomagnetic field       Optimum azimuth

Kp 0-2                  40 degrees (little skew)
Kp 3-5                  70 degrees (moderate skew)
Kp 6-9                  110 degrees (major skew)

         The Ap index here shows why I believe
we've had such good conditions the past 10 days:

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/ (Ap = blue line)

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/indices.html (see Ap & Kp data)

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV