Topband: Reflector Guidelines

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Reflector Guidelines
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:01:28 -0400
        I hope everyone is enjoying the great Topband
conditions!  They don't get much better than they were
last night.  Some of us have literally waited years for
these conditions to return!

        We've got many new subscribers so here's a
brief reminder of the reflector guidelines you got when
you subscribed.  I know, nobody ever reads guidelines,
but I strongly suggest you DO read this message if you
want your posts to appear on this reflector.

for the exchange of information on 160-related topics ONLY.
Our goal is to keep 160 information content high and noise
low. Do not post general topics like equipment wanted / for
sale, "work me in the contest", E-mail addresses needed, etc.
Occasional problem 160 QSL requests are OK but use this
reflector ONLY as a last resort after trying the usual sources.
Feel free to post 160-related questions, but request responses
directly and then summarize them in a followup post.

DO NOT USE THIS REFLECTOR TO POST COMPLAINTS,
PERSONAL CRITICISMS, ATTACKS, ETC. VIOLATORS OF
THIS POLICY WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT
NOTICE.

Be considerate of other subscribers who have bandwidth
limitations and edit posts for brevity (include ONLY relevant
excerpts of previous posts). NOTE: Top-posting complete
parts of prior messages or delete them entirely. When
responding to a specific individual, think carefully before
copying to the other 1200+ of us on the reflector.

Minimize noise, minimize bandwidth, maximize 160
information, act like gentlemen and enjoy!

Since there are now 1279 members of this reflector,
these guidelines are important for all of us to follow.

        What can I do to guarantee that my post
WILL NOT APPEAR?

1.  Top-post previous messages.  What's that?  Why does
anyone care?  Read below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

I automatically delete all top-posts.  I assume the sender
actually intended their post for an individual since this
is specifically prohibited in our guidelines.  I simply don't
have time to send everyone doing this personal notes to
read the guidelines.

2.  Reply to an entire Digest.  Not only is this usually a
top-post (see above), but "Subject - Digest #123" has
absolutely nothing to do with the actual subject, which
is important for archival and search purposes.  Copy
whatever it is in the digest you are replying to, including
the writer's identity, change the Subject from Digest to
what the original writer used and you are golden!

3.  Copy to multiple reflectors...not allowed for many
reasons I won't go into here.

4.  Post "cute" notes or ask general questions that have
little to do with 160.  In other words, stay ON-TOPIC (160m)
and be considerate of others' time and bandwidth limitations.

        It's really simple..."Minimize noise, minimize bandwidth,
maximize 160 information, act like gentlemen and enjoy!"

                                Thanks & 73!

                                Bill  W4ZV