Re: Topband: AWESOME VK6 conditions/LP NA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: AWESOME VK6 conditions/LP NA
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:41:59 -0400
Steve Ireland wrote:

> At 2137, Paul N1BUG was in the log, actually peaking 579, on the LP.  Jack
> VE1ZZ called at 2141Z and was peaking 599 on the 'S' meter!  The last 'LP'
> signal was K1CP, worked at 2149Z, but a modest 449.

I had just switched on and Steve was a solid 579 10 minutes before
my sunset. He was probably workable much earlier had I been there.
He was just starting to fade, 569, when he went QRT about 2203. At
times he peaked 589 which by a narrow margin is the best I've yet
heard VK6 at sunset. The inverted V, southeast Beverage and east
Beverage were all about equal, with the south and north Beverages
only a few dB worse. Probably high angle arrival.

Steve, QRM was an issue when you were working K1CP - we had a
midwest USA station testing on frequency, no doubt not realizing how
strong he was here in the northeast or that we were already into our
gray line and working DX.

There were a few other NA stations calling. Good luck working
further south / west!

73,
Paul N1BUG