Re: Topband: Phased beverages

To: "w4pv" <w4pv@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased beverages
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:03:53 -0400
>      Is this spacing sufficient?

No, not for in-phase operation. It would do nothing at all
worthwhile for S/N ratio on 160, and would only marginally
help 80.

My Beverages are about 350-375 feet apart and work very well
on 160 and 80, and are even pretty useful on 40. I abandoned
250 ft spaced antennas in pretty short order as I compared
them to wider spacings.

You can see directivity comparisons in a table on this page:
http://www.w8ji.com/receiving.htm

>      Is the grounding sufficient to even out the impedance
over changing
> earth?

In most cases, but it also depends on your ground
conductivity.

>      What is the best length for the pair of wires for
best rear rejection
> and development of a reasonable frontal lobe?

I've never found a large difference with length changes,
other than a wide peak in average performance at about
700-800 feet as I've compared them in direct A-B testing
over the past five years on DX. I've abandoned all my longer
antennas, and most of my shorter antennas.

>      What is the best type of terminating resistors to
use?

http://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm

>      Should I collect a supply of various valued resistors
to insure best
> performance and match for the beverages?

Not worth it in my experience. Around 470 ohms pretty much
does the trick.

73 Tom