Re: Topband: QSB`ed opening

To: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSB`ed opening
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:37:17 -0400
> And for some reason the beverages were no advantage, had
to use the
> phased verticals for most QSOs.

> Any theory on this? A propagation path that has a very
high
> takeoff/incoming angle for access? If the phased verticals
were
> better, what was the difference in the signal?

There are nights and mornings like that, not common but it
happens.

Sometimes Beverages are useless. It seems these are mostly
days when the signal is scattered or arriving from many
directions. In those cases it's a real toss which antenna
works best. Even if I find one working well, a few minutes
later it is almost always different.

I don't know why it happens, but this is why having a
variety of antennas with different patterns...even if they
are all vertically polarized (like a Beverage and a vertical
array)....is good.

73 Tom