Re: Topband: Gap Voyager - 160m alternative?

To: "KT2Q" <dxdx@optonline.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Gap Voyager - 160m alternative?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:16:01 -0700
From: "KT2Q" <dxdx@optonline.net>

> I understand the Gap Voyager and the Butternut are mediocre performers on
> top-band so I'm open for suggestions.
>
> Are there other reasonably priced 160/80 meter verticals that perform
> better?
> Is there a way to improve the Gap Voyager on 160 meters?
>
> 73, Tony KT2Q

I rescued a Gap Voyager from the junk heap at the local club station to use
for
portable operating. The first thing I did was to gut out all the linear
and remove the center feed coax from the "gap" center insulator. I built an
insulated
base so that I could feed from it the bottom against a good radial system. I
use
mine on 160 meters, so I added four 20' long top hat wires that slope down
the ground at an ~45 degree angle. I also center load the antenna with a
coil
wound on a PVC form that slips over the fiberglass "gap" insulator. If
you're going
to use it on 80 and 160, you could probably replace the center-loaded
inductor
with a switchable base loading network for 80 and 160 (if memory serves
correct
the antenna with top hat wires is self resonant at around 2.5 MHz without
any
inductive loading). I have used this antenna from two different portable
locations,
and I am very pleased with the performance:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Stew-Perry_El-Mirage/El-Mirage.htm

73 de Mike,