Topband: switching coax shields

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: switching coax shields
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:27:28 -0400
w8ji wrote:

"As a general rule that is a problem. I would never switch
the shields in my station. It is begging for problems! The
shields should be solidly grounded to a common groundplane.
Only the centers switched."

-0-

Tom....how do you decouple the various antennas, if the shields
are still connected?   I know you decouple at the antenna itself,
but there's a fair amount of inter-antenna coupling due to feedline
proximity to themselves and other antennas.

Having posed the question, my answer has been to use ferrite chokes
on all coaxes going into a switch, either in the form of clip-ons, or
'line isolators'.

Your thoughts?

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org