Topband: HELP!! top band receiving aerials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HELP!! top band receiving aerials
From: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:21:14 +0100
I've got to do something about receiving aerials for 160m.... I do have a
boundary fence about 400 ft long facing just north of west.... good for a
stateside beverage, but what effect will the wire fencing below it have???

I have a five foot diameter loop on my tower resonant and matched to 50 ohms
but it's obviouslyn too small to be effective.

The transmitting aerial is a dipole at 70 ft with vertical 75 ohm twin
feeder to my workshop where there is a choke balun and relay swithing unit
where I can change it to a Marconi T with a series cap (motorised) so I can
tune it over the band..... that seems to serve me well, but on receive it is
SO noisey!!!

Any ideas would be appreciated

73
Ian, G3ROO