Re: Topband: Reversible Beverage

To: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>,<Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Reversible Beverage
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:42:51 -0500
> What has been the experience of a reversible Beverage? I am looking at
> building two of these to optimize the diagonal of my property and cover four
> directions.
> I will have a 9:1 Balun  and a terminating resistor at each end;
> switchable/selectable  by a 12 VDC relay at each end; controlled in the
> shack. The uncharged direction will be the more popular direction which will
> be the normal setup; radio---9:1---antenna---terminating resistor--ground.
> For voltage to the 12VDC relays, I will use an Ameritron control box, only,
> w/ floating ground,  feeding four control lines to the appropriate four
> relays.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with this setup and if so, any remedy (ies)..?
>
> Thanks for any / all critiques and ideas.
>
> Mike, K5UO

Mike,

I'm not sure of where you got your design ideas.  There is no doubt that there
are a hundred ways to skin a cat.  But it does appear that you have made the
project more complex than it needs to be for a reversable beverage.  Only one
relay is needed, and the system should default to the most used direction.  As
far as 'control lines', I think you should look into using a simple bias T
design to activate the relay to select the other direction--no control lines
needed.  Even if you intend to use one feedline for a remote switch to control
both sets of beverages, the bias T could use (+) and (-) voltages to activate
two different sets of relays.