Re: Topband: 160M ground radials

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M ground radials
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:08:41 -0500
About...

"Hello,

Ground radials are suppose to reduce ground losses (right?)

I know this sounds crazy, but please just humor me okay!

Instead of using, let say 14 gauge wire for ground radials, how about
using
some type of aluminum tubing at 2 inches O.D.

My question is, would the pipe reduce the amount of radials needed if
several pipes were laid down in the form of a bicycle wheel?

Suppose their were 20 pipes laid on top of the soil at 100 or 125 feet
long
around the base of the vertical.  Would this work and would it reduce
the
amount of the 14 gauge wire radials??"

Thank you,
73
Ken
K3YI

Ken,

There would be no practical advantage in doing any of that. Wires buried
an inch deep would be just as effective in every way.

73,    Roy     K6XK