Topband: FT5XO nr Seattle this AM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FT5XO nr Seattle this AM
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:06:43 -0800 (PST)
Turned on the radio around 1320 this morning, and
there were already people loitering around the usual
frequencies, calling CQ, etc. Then on 1823.~6, people
calling and calling -- nobody seeming to work anyone
however. Listening 2 down as the norm, nothing.
Furiously switching antennas (two unterm bevs, one new
3/8 wave vertical) At about 1326, out of the noise on
the vertical pops FT5XO. I hear people start to
actually work him. I think LR in montana got him.

Also some biker dude from NV. Other "WA's". Even the
California guys. The signal is building, building, and
our Canadian neighbors are getting in on the action.
Many are calling, but apparently can't hear him, so
continue to call while the FT5 is transmitting. The
FT5 responds, nobody answers. Someone must be
frustrated with that, but that person't repeating
snippets of the US stn's call on the FT5's frequency
isn't a good way to relieve that frustration.

I'm trying around where I hear people working him, and
then the JA's starting showing up in the exchanges.
The window is shifting rapidly west -- I have to move
fast. Listen harder, see if FT5 is ever listening
above or below the usual range. No, not really.  A
"Neighbor" ham works him (he's about 4 miles distant
from here), seeming on about the 4th call for him.
While I'm disappointed, bravo! Continue trying. Now
the mix of calls is definitely favoring JA's. People
in the US still keep calling, calling. Unclear if they
can hear him. Signals are fading on the vertical. I
switch around the other antennas, realize the n-s
beverage is better now. Get about 5 more minute of
copy out of that antenna.

Signals fade at 1432.

My wife pokes her head in the closet where I hide my
gear from the kids, she has an expectant look on her
face -- the sooner this is over for the both of us,
the better. I smile, and say "I heard them. I heard
other people working them. Maybe tomorrow."

I got outside and adjust the antenna. Again.

-73
N9ADG