Re: Topband: Better low band conditions?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Better low band conditions?
From: "Ragnar Otterstad" <otterstad@enter.vg>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:00:00 +0100

Tom, I have to agree with you. I can monitor aurora activity very well here
(on VHF, 49 MHz) and this season the days WITHOUT aurora activity have been
very very few. The scenario was the same last season, and that was the
worst I've seen for long path W6/W7 on 80 mtrs ever.

As I have made daily observations of radio aurora for more than 10 years I
can sure tell the difference in conditions on 160m when the geomagnetic
field is disturbed compared to when it is quiet. Of course, at 65.4 deg
north I am more affected by aurora, but as has been discussed, many low
latitude stations have their path to "good DX" straight through the aurora
zones. 160m signals would hardly go unaffected through an active aurora
zone.

73/Peter SM2CEW

Just moving home from my OZ8RO  QTH after 18 years + made me realize how
different things are
once you get up north.  It could be an age problem with me, of course !

73

" RAG "  Ragnar Otterstad   LA5HE JW5HE OZ8RO

My photo website:
http://no.photos.yahoo.com/la5he

Located in Telemark - Home of skiing.
For more information about Telemark take a look at :
www.visittelemark.com     for more details.