Topband: Boring Report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:01:35 -0800
Well, the band has been bordering on the boring all week, but with the
longer days coupled with leaving work a little early - I managed to be
home just at sunset last night.

5T5SN and VE2PEP were trying to make a QSO on 1837, and by golly,
Nicolas was actually louder than the VE2 for a brief time.  After
a few minutes - his signal was down in the noise - and after another
15 or 20 minutes, I couldn't hear him anymore.

This is a fine example of enhancement occurring at sunset - something
I have not experienced very often myself.  I am much more familar with
it at sunrise (typically at the other end of the path).

I could almost hear R1ANN last night - but not well enough to call.  A
lot of east coast seemed to be making it.

Nothing heard on the band this morning at sunrise.  Starting in about
a week - I will be on the band every morning at sunrise - looking for
the FT8X guys.  I missed the one morning VK0IR was coming through and
I am determined to check zone 39 off the list with this opportunity.

The Plaquemeister himself (W7EW) will be making sure there is plenty of
topband activity.  I think he even smuggled an amplifier into his duffel
bag.  This will make a fine book end to a very successful season for me,
with six new ones so far and one or two to go.  Perhaps I will be lucky
enough to catch TR8CA sometime before I have to take down the beverage
in the horse pasture.

73 Tree N6TR