Topband: JA and VK6

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: JA and VK6
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:43:43 -0500
Thanks to Kaz, JA8ISU I have just worked my firt JA on top
band!  It seemed to be a skew path, as signals were about
equal on the west and southwest Beverages.

Sorry I did not hear the JH2 (JH2FXK?) who called me after
the QSO with Kaz.

I will call CQ on 1811 every morning looking for more JA
stations (or other DX).  The peak seems to come about 10 or
15 minutes before my sunrise.  I will begin to call CQ 30
minutes before sunrise.  Sunrise on March 11 is 1100z.  On
March 18 it is 1045z.

Had another LP QSO with VK6HD yesterday.  His SR is now a
full 30 minutes before my SS.  This latest QSO was half way
between.  Signals were not as good as in the past but very
workable.  Got him on the first call as usual!  I don't
know what magic Mike is using, but it works.  VK6 is near
my antipode which may partly explain it, but other VK6's
are not as consistent.  I wonder just how far we can push
this as the gap between our SR/SS gets wider?

Propagation to EU and virtually everywhere was very poor
last night.  It is fascinating to have such a poor night
bracketed by QSOs with VK6 and JA.

73,
Paul N1BUG