Re: Topband: JA sp/lp from east coast

To: jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu, jimjarvis@ieee.org,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: JA sp/lp from east coast
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 05:00:17 EST
Hi Guys

Yes - I have managed to work JA longpath from New England - the first time on
XMAS day afternoon in 1996 when I worked JA1JRK, JH5FXP, JA4LXY and JA4DND
and heard (but did not work) JA1HQT and JR6PGB.  I got an email from JA3ONB who
reported his amplifier was down for repairs during that opening - but noted he
heard me 579.  He fixed it that day and I worked him at my sunrise peak on
the following morning, December 26, 1996.

In 1997, I managed to work JA4LXY (again in late December)  - for my second
QSO with Tomio - and during this same opening, K1KI situated on the CONN/MA
state line North of Hartford, managed to work Tomio also.  Both Tom and I
worked
JA4LXY quite late in the opening - perhaps right after 2200z (which is VERY
late in the opening).

To my knowledge, no other USA East Coast North American station has managed
this so far although my guess is that someone in Maine could do it quite easily
in the next two seasons on Topband.

Curiously, that day when I was working the JA's in 1996, quite a few other
stations were active on 160M and a few I know did HEAR at least some of the
JA's
I worked.  I know the late K1MEM did and WW2Y, Peter Hutter, in Princeton, NJ
heard at least traces of one of them.

Working JA longpath on Topband is purely a function of having enough COMMON
darkness overlap in order to overcome the path losses.

>From New England, Maine and Cape Cod have the BEST chances because darkness
occurs around 2115z for about two weeks from mid to late December, with JA1
sunrise being about 2145z at that time of year.  Thus the window is very narrow
indeed - about 15/20 minutes when things are possible - meaning roughly 2140z -
2200z.  For stations in Southern Japan, the opening lasts a wee bit longer,
and I recall hearing twice (but not working) JR6PGB until a few minutes past
2200z in 1996 and 1997.  I have not worked a JA longpath from CAPE COD since
1998 when I worked JA4LXY for the last time.  However, I have managed it from
VY2ZM in January of 2003 I think it was when I worked JA1JRK.

Atlantic Canada has nearly an hour of common darkness overlap with JA's at
their sunrise - which greatly extends the chances of managing contacts on the
quieter solar days.  VE1ZZ has run strings of JA's starting in early December
through mid-January in the better years and I have worked the one noted and
heard (but did not work) JA1HQT in 2002 at his sunrise.  I should note in
passing
that working JA's at all from VY2ZM is mainly a Longpath event as shortpath
QSO's at sunrise are extremely difficult!  To date, I have worked JA8ISU three
times (twice in OCTOBER!) and once in November - and I did manage shortpath
QSO's with JA1JRK and JA5DQH around the XMAS period in 2003 as well - with the
help of packet spotting.

As we approach the bottom of the current sunspot cycle, the best chance to
work this path at EAST Coast sunset I suspect will occur in the next two
upcoming DEC/JAN periods - meaning 2005 and 2006.  That will be our most likely
opportunity to do this again - but only when the A/K are really low with a
quiet
sun otherwise.  The very best days will fall during the period of roughly Dec
15th - Jan 5th or so.  If during this short window of days the sun stays really
quiet for a few days in a row, keep your "ears on"!

Good luck.

73 JEFF K1ZM/VY2ZM

K1ZM@aol.com