Topband: EWE tweaking

To: "INTERNET:topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EWE tweaking
From: Michael Sapp <Michael_Sapp_WA3TTS@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:07:13 -0500
Hello:  I have a pair of back to back EWEs that share the same termination
ground rod with separate 1K resistors. Also, the input
side grounds are all tied together with the ternination ground. The two
vertical sections with the terminations are within a foot apart, so they
may act more like a section of open wire feedline. This arrangement is due
to lack of yard space.  Anyway, I tried bridging the two 1K resistors with
a variable resistance at the antenna termination point using some well
placed 1600KHz  "road info" AM broadcast stations as reference signals. I
was able to get a 10dB improvement in the front to back nulls for the local
signals with a bridge resistance value around 1.2K. A few evenings of
listening concluded this termination arrangement  improved the lower angle
null but "killed" the high angle null (which is really more useful). It was
just an experiment to see if a common termination resistance would work for
the two back to back  EWE antennas. Anyone else out there ever try
something similar??

                        Mike WA3TTS