Re: Topband: TITANEX V160HD vertical

To: <Topband@contesting.com>, "Don Beattie" <g3ozf@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TITANEX V160HD vertical
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:18:42 -0600
  From: Don Beattie<mailto:g3ozf@btinternet.com>
  To: Topband@contesting.com<mailto:Topband@contesting.com>
  Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:40 AM
  Subject: Topband: TITANEX V160HD vertical

  I have one of these antennas in a windy hilltop location. It is guyed (as I
don't have the courage to leave it up unguyed, as the spec suggests, in winds
gusting up to 90 mph).

  My problem is that I am getting structural failure above the top guyed point.
Up to the top guy (70ft) it is fine, but the wind stress on the remaining 20ft
takes its toll in time, and fractures the top 20ft just above the top guying
point. I conclude that this is because all the wind stress is taken there, and
not progressively in the sections below the top guy as would be the case if the
whole 90 ft was unguyed.

  I am considering two options:

  a) To put a fibre-glass fishing pole up the inside of the top 20 ft, to give
it greater stiffness
  b) To give up and run unguyed.

  I have 20 such antennas in operation and also guy them except for the 80
meter antennas that are basically v160hd with the top sections removed. Early
in the process I likewise had problems breaking the third tube just as it
exited the fourth tube. (counting down from the top). The failures were
related_to the rivet hole that is close to that junction. Titanex supplied a
rework kit that replaced the double spacers with a long sleeve that moved the
hole down and away from the stress point.
  I have had no problems since. I would not suggest running unguyed ... the top
will bend near horizontal and whip like a flag in the wind  break for sure.
  Topband mailing list
  Topband@contesting.com<mailto:Topband@contesting.com>