Topband: Re: Plans to build homemade HF-2V antenna??

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Plans to build homemade HF-2V antenna??
From: "George Stewart (VK5ALS)" <ggstew@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:24:42 +1030
Hi Topbanders,

I guess I must be missing something here:

I have had a look at site suggested by G4OWT to see how EI7BA went about
modifying/copying the Butternut vertical antenna.

http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/80&40mVertic.htm

I am curious about the fact that the base inductors have an aluminium
pipe running lengthwise through there middle. Surely this must degrade
the "Q" of these coils and the opportunity for a more efficient antenna.

Is the added loss small? Is this used to advantage in the overall design
of this particular antenna? I always imagined one would keep all such
influences on the coil as much as possible out of the way. In the set-up
shown, why not extend the dowelling so that it ran through the coils and
not aluminium pipe?

Could someone enlighten me please.

George, VK5ALS

E-mail: ggstew@bigpond.net.au