Topband: HF2V update

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HF2V update
From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <DAVIDNNAN@MSN.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:23:08 -0700
Thanks to all of you who sent me valuable information on the HFV2. I have the
160/80/40 meter model working and the coil losses dialed in. I am beginning to
like this antenna. This is preliminary but on 160 meters it looks to be as
efficient as a plain old base inductance loading as long as the ground system
resistance is 10 ohms or more. Now, top load this thing with horizontal spokes
and a top coil, and the gain increases 5 dB- given a ground loss of 10 ohms.
The radiation efficiency rises from 10% to 30%. I will investigate the standard
Butternut top hat tomorrow. There really isn't too much out there for top band
and the Butternut HFV2 fills a real need.

   Dave     wx7g