Topband: RE: Butternut HF2V Configuration

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Butternut HF2V Configuration
From: "Javier Lopez" <jlopez@plasticosomega.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:47:03 -0400
Hello Osten,

In the past I used an HF-2V with excellent results, the antenna was
configured as follows:

  1.- Four Toploading wires abt 12 ft length each
  2.- One (1) 11 UH coil home made (PVC tube as core with #12 awg) at the
  antenna base
  3.- Abt 200 short radials spread in a concrete base of 36 ft x 27 ft
  4.- Four (4) 160 ft radials around the roof in different shapes.

  The main issue with this antenna is that unless you change the capacitor
  could not use more than 600 watts on Top-Band also the capacitor as soon
as
  get warmed you will find a frecuency drifting. That issue were consulted
at
  Bencher and they told me that was known by them but the cost of a ceramic
  capacitor that does not bewave like this will increase the antenna price.

  I take this problem like an advantage and tunned the antenna on 1.805 and
  each 30 min checking my swr I move my Tx freq. in order to be in the
 closest  resonance point, so I was able to Tx after 2 hours on 1.870 then I
wait abt 5 minutes and start again from 1.805

  Using this approach with 500 watts I won the 2003 ARRL SSB on Top-Band at
 world-wide level.

  Hope this helps and motivate others to being in Top Band using their
  resources!!!

  73's de Javier
  yv5mbx